NASCAR Fantasy Racing Preview: LifeLock 400
by Eric McClung, Special To NASCAR news, fantasy racing advice and statistics On Pit Row
Follow @ericmcclung on Twitter for NASCAR, IndyCar, golf and various other fantasy sports picks.June 10, 2009 9:15 am UTC 1 Comment
Greetings On Pit Row readers,
For this week’s NASCAR Fantasy Racing Preview I’ve added value plays; drivers aimed for salary cap owners looking for cash-saving options. Strong value plays are drivers with a good recent history at this week’s track and/or over the past several weeks. Weak value plays are less dependable drivers that have a good track record but have not performed as well in recent weeks.
The rankings will continue to be spilt by using the A, B and C drivers from the Yahoo! Fantasy Auto Racing game. Enjoy the rankings and feel free to add your comments below!
- Carl Edwards… Best average finish among active drivers, 6.6. Nine career starts: two wins, five top-fives, finished outside of the top-10 only once, led laps in six.
- Matt Kenseth… Top-fives in four of the last five, led laps in three. Top-10s in 13 of the last 17.
- Jimmie Johnson… Is he due? No wins but led at least a dozen laps in four straight, has qualified in the top-four five times.
- Kyle Busch… Won the pole last year, finished 13th. Top-13 finishes in four straight, has led laps in five of eight career starts.
- Jeff Gordon… Best starting position (4.8) over the last five years (10 starts): started first or second five times but finished 15th or worse six times.
- Greg Biffle… Over the last nine starts: two wins, four top-fives, six top-10s, led laps in six.
- Jeff Burton… Unspectacular but consistent: top-15 finishes in 10 of the last 13.
- Mark Martin… Four career wins but none since ‘98. Twenty-fifth or worse in three of the last four.
- Kevin Harvick… Top-15 finishes in six straight.
- Clint Bowyer… Six career starts: never finished better than 16th, outside of the top-20 three times.
- Tony Stewart… Last 13: five top-threes, seven top-fives, 11 top-12 finishes.
- Brian Vickers… Most recent pole winner. Top-eight finishes in three straight, led laps in each.
- Kasey Kahne… Top-five or bust in 10 career starts: five top-fives, 18th or worse in the other five.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr…. Led laps in seven straight: one win, four top-six finishes.
- Denny Hamlin… Had never finished worse than 14th prior to an engine problem last year.
- Kurt Busch… Blue Deuce is wild: only one top-20 over the last four but it was a victory.
- David Reutimann… Career-best 14th-place finish in last year’s August race. Also had his best qualifying run, seventh.
- Ryan Newman… No top-10s since ‘04 but it was a victory, has qualified inside the top-five four times since.
- Martin Truex Jr…. Strong value play. ‘08- 16th and 17th-place finishes, ‘07- two second-place finishes.
- Jamie McMurray… Strong value play. ‘08- two 10th-place finishes, ‘07- eighth and 30th-place finishes.
- Casey Mears… ‘07- fourth, 11th; ‘08- 18th and 30th
- Joey Logano… Seventh-place finish in one career Nationwide start.
- Michael Waltrip… ‘07- 10th, 40th; ‘08- 19th, 23rd. Led one lap in each June race.
- David Ragan… Weak value play. ‘07- 18th, 21st; ‘08- third, eighth. Led laps in each race last year.
- Elliott Sadler… Weak value play. ‘07- 32nd, 35th; ‘08- two ninth-place finishes. Has qualified inside the top-10 in five straight August races.
- Juan Pablo Montoya… ‘07- 26th, 43rd; ‘08- 25th, 38th.
- Paul Menard… ’07, ‘08: 11th and 12th-place finishes in June, 24th and 39th in August.
- David Gilliland… ‘07- 17th, 27th; ‘08- 26th, 27th.
- David Stremme… ‘06- 19th, 28th; ‘07- 21st and 40th.
- Sam Hornish Jr…. Strong value play. Finished 22nd in both races last year.
- Marcos Ambrose… Finished 43rd (engine) in last year’s August. Average finish of 15.5 in two career Nationwide races.
- AJ Allmendinger… June ’08: started 39th, finished 19th. August ’08: started 33rd, finished 28th.
- Bobby Labonte… One top-10 since ’04. Won both poles in ’03. Swept in ’95.
- Reed Sorenson… Beginner’s luck: finished fifth and eighth as a rookie in ’06- 23rd or worse in four straight since.
- Scott Speed… No career starts at Michigan.
- Bill Elliott… Seven career wins. Last top-10 in ’01. Finished 36th last year.
- Robby Gordon… Finished 24th or worse in the last three races.
- Joe Nemechek… Finished 26th or worse in six straight.
- John Andretti… One top-20 over the last eight races.
- Max Papis… No career starts at Michigan.
- Mike Skinner… Finished 35th in last year’s August race. Six career Truck series starts: two poles, three top-fives, four top-10s, average finish of 7.7.
- Sterling Marlin… Finished 20th in ’07.
- Tony Raines… Finished 31st or worse in nine of 10 career starts.
- Dave Blaney… ’07- sixth, 18th. ’08- 39th, 41st