NASCAR Fantasy Racing Preview: AAA 400 from Dover International Speedway
by Eric McClung, Special To NASCAR news, fantasy racing advice and statistics On Pit Row
Follow @ericmcclung on Twitter for NASCAR, IndyCar, golf and various other fantasy sports picks.September 22, 2010 11:37 am UTC 4 Comments
Physical racing on the concrete surface of “The Monster Mile” is commonplace. Despite being different in length and banking, I like to lump Dover, Bristol and Darlington together into one group. All three of these gritty tracks require the same type of disciplined aggression to get to the front. The eight races left on the schedule after Dover feature five intermediates, two flat tracks and a restrictor plate site. Plan your future lineups accordingly.
Don’t agree with my rankings? Leave your comments below!
Chasing the pole at Dover International Speedway
- Kasey Kahne… Qualified on the outside pole in June at Dover. Started second and sixth last year.
- Juan Pablo Montoya… Qualified third and second last year at Dover. Average start of 4.3 over the last eight starts this season.
- Clint Bowyer… Qualified seventh in June at Dover. Started fourth and second in the last two starts this season.
Here’s an explanation of the highlighted text in the rankings:
- Y! A/B/C – The top options in the Yahoo! Fantasy Auto Racing game by driver list.
- Value play – Sneaky plays at this week’s track. Drivers to consider as low-rent salary cap options or alternatives in allocation formats.
- Jimmie Johnson… Five-time winner (99 sweep, 9/05, 02 sweep) at Dover. Average running position of eighth or better in five straight, third or better in three straight with an average of 264.7 laps led. Y!-A1
- Matt Kenseth… Won 6/06 race at Dover. Average running position of 10th or better in nine straight, seven Top Fives. Y!-B1
- Carl Edwards… Won 9/07 race at Dover. Average finish of 7.9 in 12 career starts. Y!-A2
- Greg Biffle… Two-time winner (9/08, 6/05) at Dover. Average finish of 10.5 in 16 career starts, has never held an average running position worse than 12th. Y!-A3
- Denny Hamlin… Career-best average running position of ninth in May start at Dover. Y!-A4
- Jeff Burton… Won race 9/06 at Dover. Average finish of 8.9 since 05. Y!-B2
- Jeff Gordon… Four-time winner (6/01, 96 sweep, 9/95) at Dover. Average running position of 13th or better in eight of the last nine, five Top 10s.
- Tony Stewart… Two-time winner (00 sweep) at Dover. Has finished ninth or better in four of the last six.
- Kyle Busch… Two-time winner (6/10, 6/08) at Dover. Six Top Fives in 11 career starts, 30.8 in the other five.
- Kurt Busch… Average running position of 12th or better in three straight at Dover, two Top Fives.
- Kevin Harvick… Finished seventh in May start at Dover, average running position of 12th. Y!-B2
- Clint Bowyer… Average running position of 11th or better in three of the last four starts at Dover, one Top 10. Y!-B3
- Juan Pablo Montoya… Finished a career-best fourth in last year’s September start at Dover, DNF in June.
- Ryan Newman… Three-time winner (9/04, 03 sweep) at Dover. Has never held an average running position worse than 16th. Y!-B4
- Kasey Kahne… Two Tops 10 at Dover last year, finished 20th in May. Y!-B5
- Mark Martin… Four-time (6/04, 9/99, 9/98, 9/97) winner at Dover. Average running position of 15th or better in four straight, average finish of 7.8
- Jamie McMurray… Average running position of 16th in May start at Dover, finished 32nd. Y!-B6
- A.J. Allmendinger… Average running position of 12th in two straight starts at Dover. Y!-C1
- David Reutimann… Strong value play. Finished a career-best fifth in May start at Dover. Average running position of 15th or better in three of the last four. Y!-B7
- Joey Logano… Strong value play. Finished a career-best 10th in June start at Dover. Y!-B8
- Martin Truex Jr…. Strong value play. Won 6/07 race at Dover. Average running position of 10th, finished 12th in May start.
- Dale Earnhardt Jr…. Won 9/01 race at Dover. Average finish of 24.2 since 08.
- Brad Keselowski… Finished 18th in May start at Dover.
- Marcos Ambrose… Average finish of 25.5 in four career starts at Dover.
- Paul Menard… Average finish of 22.7 in six career starts at Dover. Y!-C2
- Reed Sorenson… Finished 19th and 35th last year at Dover. Y!-C3
- Sam Hornish Jr…. Average start 14.4, average finish 26.6 in five career Dover starts. Y!-C4
- Elliott Sadler… Average finish of 22.0 in 23 career starts at Dover.
- David Ragan…. Average finish of 23.5 in eight career starts at Dover.
- Travis Kvapil… Average finish of 24.1 in seven career starts at Dover.
- Scott Speed… Average finish of 28.3 in three career starts at Dover.
- David Gilliland… Average finish of 27.8 in eight career starts at Dover.
- Bobby Labonte… Won 6/99 race at Dover. Average finish of 27.2 since 08 at Dover.
- Regan Smith… Average finish of 27.2 in five career starts at Dover.
- Dave Blaney… Average finish of 26.9 in 18 career starts at Dover.
- Jeff Green… Average finish of 28.1 in 15 career starts at Dover (97-07).
- Tony Raines… Average finish of 32.5 in 15 career starts at Dover.
- Kevin Conway… Finished 33rd in May start at Dover.
- Casey Mears… Possible start and park.
- Joe Nemechek… Likely start and park.
- Mike Bliss… Likely start and park.
- Landon Cassill… Likely start and park.
- Michael McDowell… Likely start and park.
- TBA Gunselman entry… Likely start and park.
- Scott Riggs… Likely start and park. Three DNQs this season.
- J.J. Yeley… Likely start and park. Five DNQs this season.