Talladega Fast Facts
- The 2012 Good Sam’s Roadside Assistance 500 will be the 87th Cup Series race held at the big, 2.66 mile Talladega Superspeedway
- There have been 41 different winners and 35 drivers have won the pole.
- 13 times the winner has started from the first position and Jeff Gordon was the last guy to do it having won from pole back in April 2007.
- Gordon is a 6 time Talladega winner, to lead active drivers. Dale Earnhardt Sr won ten times. Bill Elliott is the all-time leader with 8 poles.
- Gordon and Terry Labonte have 14 Top Fives and Mark Martin has 24 Top Tens. Earnhardt had 23 and 27 respectively.
- Gordon has led 832 laps but Earnhardt led 1377.
- Kevin Harvick had not had a DNF (22 races) until last May. Darrell Waltrip Did Not Finish 23 times!!
- Bobby Hillin Jr. is the youngest Dega winner. He was 22 years, 1 months and 22 days old when he won the race on 7/21/1986. Venerable Harry Gant was 51 years, 3 months and 26 days old when he won on 5/6/1991.
- Talladega Superspeedway is one big, banked track over 2.5 miles that we class as Superpeedway Tracks in the On Pit Row stats. At both Talladega and Daytona, cars are required to run with Restrictor Plates, to control top speed. But the two tracks are quite different. Look at both tracks and the combined stats. And just like last week, if you have drivers who do well when it’s really fast, this track is really fast.
Pre-race Loop Data for the Aaron’s 499 201- 2010
Pre-race Loop Data for the Amp Energy 500 2009
Pre-race Loop Data for Talladega Spring ’09 – PDF