Dover International Speedway
Monster Mile Fast Facts
- The 2012 AAA 400 will be the Monster Mile’s 86th Cup race.
- There have been 33 different winners and 35 drivers have won the pole.
- 13 times the winner has started from the first position. Jimmie Johnson did it last on 9/26/2010.
- Johnson has won seven times at Dover Downs, tying Hall of Famers Richard Petty and Bobby Allison for the all-time lead here. Mark Martin has five poles, to lead actives. Hall of Famer David Pearson had six of ‘em.
- Mark Martin is the all-time leader in Top Fives and Top Tens with 23 and 31.
- Jeff Gordon has led 2291 laps but Mr.Allison led more – 2802.
- Jamie McMurray has not had a DNF here in 19 races but J.D. McDuffy Did Not Finish in 27 of his 41 Dover tries!
- Kyle Busch is once again the youngest previous winner. He was 23 years, 0 months and 30 days old when he won the race on 6/1/2008. And Harry Gant is the oldest again, Handsome was 52 years, 4 months and 21 days old when he won on 5/31/1992.
- Dover is a one mile, high banked, concrete track. I think it most resembles Bristol in character, though it is bigger than Bristol. Look at Loop data for Bristol when evaluating drivers for Dover but also look at Darlington.
There are nearly 40 pages of NASCAR Loop stats accessable through the link at the bottom of this post. Dig in and decide – who’s gonna win this thing. If you need some help, check out our Expert’s Picks, Ryan Rantz’ Power Rankings for Dover 2 and Eric McClung’s fantasy racing preview.
- 11:00 AM ET Friday 9/28 on Speed
- 2:30 PM ET Friday 9/28 Practice on Speed
- 1:30 PM ET Saturday 9/29 Qualifying on Speed
- 1:00 PM ET Sunday 9/30AAA 400 live on ESPN
Below are the loop stats going into the first race of the year at Dover.